Another wonderful recipe from my childhood and also for the baking sheet. My Granny on the mother’s side from Upper Austria is a passionate cook. You know, everything granny serves tastes better than anywhere else! I still remember that we always despised the Schnitzel my Mom made for us – but when Granny did, we ate as much as we could.
This banana cake is one of this things – it is rich in flavor, moist, fluffy, sweet and I can’t stop until it is empty. And the best thing is: it is also perfect if you have those left-over-bananas nobody wants to eat because they have those brown spots. M and F are also that way – despite this bananas are very rich in flavor they refuse to eat them – but once they were turned into banana cake, they love it! So before you throw them away… MAKE BANANA CAKE!
Also if you are allergic to nuts … just don’t add them.
200 g butter
200 g sugar
300 g all-purpose flour
50 g ground nuts (like walnuts or almonds, even hazelnuts are possible)
3 ripe bananas
1 package of vanilla sugar*
1 package of backing powder
Also about 3 to 4 tablespoons of confectioner’s sugar, lemonjuice and water for the sugar topping.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C
- Use a fork to mash up the peeled bananas.
- Take a bowl and mix all ingredients along with the bananas. As already mentioned the nuts are not obligatory – so if you don’t want nuts, are allergic or just don’t have them stored … let it be 😀 – pour the dough into the greased baking sheet.
- Bake the dough on middle rack for about 25 minutes until it turns golden.
- Once the cake is ready you have to remove it from the oven to let it cool. Meanwhile you can mix the confectioner’s sugar, lemon juice and a little bit of water until semifluid.
- As soon the cake is cool enough just spread the sugar mixture evenly and give it a few minutes to settle.
The bananacake is super easy and fast to make. So if friends, family or anyone else stops by as a surprise – or you have your personal M’s and F’s at home, just make bananacake J
Have fun and I hope you love it as much as I do.
All the best,