What can I say… poppy seed cake, is my personal favorite! Fast and easy to make, not many ingredients required and up until now I have never met anyone who doesn’t like it. Well … maybe one or two people who just don´t like poppy seeds. Only Granny’s banana cake or her cheese cake (but this doesn´t have anything to do with the cheesecakes I knew from NY) was a competition for my beloved poppy seed cake!
As for the measurement of the sugar and the flour I would suggest to use the yoghurt cup – just clean it 🙂
250 g butter (room temperature)
2 cups sugar
1 package vanilla sugar
1 package backing powder
a pinch of cinnamon
a pinch of lemon zest
2 cups yoghurt (250 g each, or a big one with 500g)
2 cups all-purpose flour
200 g ground poppy seeds
In addition you also need 3 to 4 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar, lemon juice and water for the topping
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Grease the baking sheet.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until you have a homogeneous dough.
- When everything is mixed well, pour the dough into the prepared baking sheet.
- Put the baking sheet on middle rack for about 25 minutes until it is done. At least until the dough is fluffy and golden on top.
- When baking time is over and the dough is ready just put it out of the oven and set it aside to cool. Meanwhile you can combine the confectioner’s sugar, lemon juice and water till semifluid.
- Spread the sugar-mix evenly over the dough and give it a few minutes to settle.
I hope you and your beloved ones like this cake as much as I do.
Have fun and I hope you enjoy it!
All the best,