So this is about the dessicated coconut / buttermilk cake – and also no surprise: again for the baking sheet. The main advantages are easy to explain: first of all the dough itself is simply mixed up and if you have a handling aid – you can bring it along to any party. The most important thing is, that it is super moist and rich in flavor – almost like F’s beloved “Kokosbusserl” (literally translated as coconut kisses) – a traditional recipe for Christmas cookies.
for the dough:
2 cups sugar
2 cups buttermilk
1 pinch of salt
1 package of vanilla sugar*
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 package baking powder
for the topping:
100 g dissicated coconut
½ cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C
- For the dough, you have to sift the flour and combine it with the baking powder. Mix sugar, buttermilk, salt, vanilla sugar and the eggs into it as soon as possible and mix it until it is a homogeneous dough – but please don’t be confused the dough is pretty runny! But on the baking sheet it will turn into a wonderful moist dough!
- Also the topping is super easy. Just combine the dissicated coconut and the sugar and spread it evenly over the dough by using a spoon. But please don’t try to flatten it or the like as it will not look very good in the end – trust me.
- Place the baking sheet on middle rack for 25 – to 30 minutes
* if you make your own vanilla sugar, like I do, 8 g are sufficient.
Have fun and a good taste of “Kokosbusserl”.
All the best,